Friday, September 12, 2008

God IS Nice


I prayed with my son while driving him to school just as I always do. This day I included myself and my need for relief from chronic pain as it has been especially restricting and really affecting me mentally. I usually don’t pray for things for myself except in the heat of the moment or as it relates to my work of caring for others and the things my patients need from me.

After dropping him off I went to the gas station. I pulled in and asked for “forty dollars cash regular” from the ubiquitous smiling Pakistani with the thick accent and a turban on his head. While gassing up, I was reading my devotions, electronically stored on my Treo. Today’s bit was titled “Friendship with God” and it went on to explain what a true friendship with God means as referred to in Genisis 18, how a right relationship with Him brings a life of “freedom, liberty, and delight.”

The gas handle clicked and the pump man came over to me and took my money and smiling, he said “God is nice.”

And do you know what? He REALLY IS nice. He let me know that He was my friend, that He was with me and told me twice in only a few minutes, first in written words and then, right after, spoken by a smiling messenger with a thick accent pumping my gas.

No comments: